Hi from Germany
Hello to all from Germany.

I post this thread to start with this new section. I think it is a great idea starting contact other freaks from out of Germany. I hope somebody from Japan or Down Under will join this BBS, cause I'm a freak of Japanease wheel tape recorders from Akai. Please feel free to contact me.

cu here

Michael
Hallo Michael and Akai fans,

Does anyone have information about an Akai ‘Universal 44S’?
I have this in my collection, but know nothing about its year of manufacture or its specification. Sadly, the condition of my 44S is not good.

It seems to be a distant forerunner to the 4000DS, but using ‘Röhren’.
Do you know if the Service Manual is available from anywhere?

Any information is appreciated.

Peter.
Greetings from Oxford, England.
Hello,

Here is a picture of my Akai 'Universal 44S'

[Bild: Uni44s.jpg]

Does anyone know about this type of maschine? Thanks.

Peter.
Hi Peter!

Have you already seen this page on soundtapewereld?

http://www.soundtapewereld.nl/Bandrecord...44Sdex.htm

Timo
HI !

I think thisone is based on the 4000 D
Hello Peter

It looks very old. Does it work ? I have never seen a machine like this.

I found a link about it
www.bassboy.com.au/getreel/site/lists/vintage.pdf

It's just a vintage list, but they wrote they had test it. Maybe you can find the source of this PDF. If they had tested it, they will have additional information. It could be, it comes from down under. The Australians are importing a lot of electronic equipment from Japan, more than from Europe.

Michael
Hello,

Thank you for all of the replies.
I have not seen the soundtapewereld page before.
Now I will save that whole website as a favourite because it has so much information on most makes of taperecorders.

The Australian website does have the circuit and there is someone selling these CD ROM's in England :grins: Thank you for that.

This taperecorder is one that I bought 5 years ago, but I have not tried it yet, because it is in a bad state. I am saving this for a 'rainy day'!! The power input is by a round connector that I do not have. I think that the mechanical parts will need some work and the condensers between the ‘Röhren’ will certainly need to be replaced.

An unusual feature of this taperecorder is the Erase tape head, which moves up and down when the "1-4, stereo, 2-3" knob is turned. Why did Akai do this on the 44S? Surely it would have been easier to use an electrical switch to change the tape track.

Peter.
Hello Peter!

What puzzles me is that soundtapewereld.nl says that it's a three speed deck whereas there's only a two speed selector knob. Is there a capstan sleeve as known from the 4000 additionally?

Timo
Hello Timo,

There is a removeable capstan sleeve, which can be stored on the clip above the heads, when it is not in use.

The 'Tone' control is used for equalisation and it is marked 1 7/8 - 3 3/4 - 7 1/2

Peter.
Just seen this old link, funny how things go, I now won this recorder from around 1965, its not in a working state and is missing the mains lead, if anyone can help with a spare?
Wegen Spam dichtgemacht

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste