Teac A3300-S recording not working
I am trying to do my first test recording but ends up with nothing on the tape.

I have
- conected a sound source to recorders Line In inputs
- set the REC MODE switches to ON
- adjusted LINE level control when OUTPUT switch is set to SOURCE position (VU meters does move)
- changed the OUTPUT switch to TAPE position ant tried to adjust the OUTPUT LEVEL control (the VU meters are supposed to move but they don't)

Any suggestions what might be wrong or what I should check for?
You started correctly:

- put a sound to the line inputs
- put the output of the tape to the tape input of the amp or use a headphone for starting without that connection.
- set the rec mode switches to "on"
- Output-switch must be setted to "source"
- Adjust level, the instruments will meter the input level

Now, you have to start the tape, pressing the buttons "play" and "rec" at the same time. Tape will move, and the signal will be put on tape. If the tape don't move, you can't make a record on it.

Changing the output-switch from "source" to "tape" while tape is running in record-mode, will not interrupt the recording. The signal will be put on tape with the record head, which is the head in the middle of the three. Switching to position "tape" will cause, that from that moment, you will hear, what you have just recorded. For the Play-back-head is in some distance on the right side of the rec-head, you will hear the signal with a slight delay while switching from source to tape. That is the time, the tape needs to run from record head to play-back-head. Of course, you have to adjust output-level as wll. That's for hearing, not for recording. If the output-controls are in position zero, you will hear nothing, even if there is a record on the tape. In position "tape" the VU-meters will meter the output-signal. So, you have to adjust input-Level necessaryily in position "source".

I wrote that by heart, may be, something ist wrong. I will check at the machine at home. It is not the machine I use mostly, so I'm not sure with everything, I write here. If there are further problems, please be patient until tomorrow in the evening.
Michael(F)
Did you already try to switch Output to 'Tape" during recording? You should hear the recently recorded signal from tape then. If there is none, maybe first you should check

- if the 'Output' control is turned on (on Teac recorders, it works for the headphone jack as well as for Line Out and the VU meters).

- if the tape has mechanical contact to the heads (most people tend to insert tapes the wrong way when they are doing it for the first time, especially on Japan decks with their complex tape transport mechanism)

- if the tape is inserted with the right side towards the heads. The magnetic layer has to head upside (if your tape is used, it might already be on the reel the wrong way).

As a next step, if both of this is OK, have a look at the head and the tape transport. Maybe it has to be cleaned.
I was unexact in my explanation earlier.
Yes, I pressed Play and Rec, and while the tape is rolling I changed the OUTPUT switch to TAPE position and adjusted the OUTPUT LEVEL control. But the VU meters don't move and nothing is heard through the headphpnes. I just recheked it to be sure.

I also tried to exchange the reels to see if the tape might have had wrong side towards the heads. No success.

I am going to check if the tape has mechanical contact with the heads and maybe do some cleaning tomorrow. A new tape would also be a good idea.
Have you got a tape with a record upon it?
Can you play back an existing record?
I will check the handling at my machine at home and look for the manual.
Michael(F)
I have got a tape with recorded music. I guess it was recorded a very long time ago and has not been used since. It plays back with very weak output, I can hardly hear the music through my headphones. It is the same tape that I try to record on.

Today I checked that heads have mechanical contact with the tape during recording. It seems to be OK. I also cleaned the heads.

I have a manual now so I am pretty sure I do the recording procedure corectly. I'll try to get a new tape as soon as possible.
Problem solved. The tape had wrong side against the heads. Now recording works well. Thanks for your replys!

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste