Hello everyone!
Here I am - Riho - (russian) reel to reel stuff collector. I am from Estonia (formeer USSR territory, now have been over 13 years independent). So I have lots of Russian sound reproduce stuff (essentially reel to reels).
If you have some problems or questions about machinery made in USSR, ask me, I'll help you.
I also have already about 1000 tapes (only about 15 of them are not made in SU). Most of them are in good condition. So I'm ready to do exchange against tapes that are made in Europe, USA and other continents... It is hard to get foreign tapes in Estonia as these are not imported to here. But they are diamonds for me. For example I have only four 26,5 cm reels. I mostly desire this size of reel.

Well the text gets too long. We have much to talk about. I'm waiting for your replies ;-).
See you!
Hello Riho,

and a warm welcome ! Let us see if you give us a helping hand with all that stuff from russia. If you have any question we are pleased to answer them.

See you, Thomas !
Let's have a closer look at his collection:

http://www.sabinebendlin.de/tonbandwelt/big/105.htm

Riho, do you like to tell us something about the 1.000 pieces of russian tapes you like to exchange?
Exactly this is not all the collection of my machinery. I just have had no change to take more pics.
I can't share all tapes because they have important information recorded on. For example the last 500 tapes lot that I bought - half of them have a Estonian fun entertainment show "Meelejahutaja" recorded on it. And I will record them for Eesti Raadio on to minidiscs.
How did I get all these tapes? When I was a child I was already infected with the reel to reel bacillus. But I didn't knew that. But as more the time ahead I was more and more intrested in these things. Fortunately my father had a machine with 100 tapes. Smoothly he handed them down for me. Sometimes, seldom I bought to home a grammophone or an old radio etc. I got sometimes old tapes from my school. And finally when I was about 12 I discovered that I am reel to reel zealot. At this time I also started building up my first tapes database in MS Excel. (By the way currently I'm building up the third version of database. If it's ready I can show it for you too).
So I had certain objective. I saw my future life with them. I love working with reel to reels. Later I had some bigger purchases (radios, reel to reels, turntables, tapes) and now I have what i have - a room full of big boxes with tapes and reel to reel recorders. I even have no room there to move. But that's not all - half of whole collection is in the house basement room.
So that was my across-the-board story. Your questions are welcome.
R
Hi Riho,
are you searching for empty tapes or tapes with music on them? I am not quite sure about your wishes. If it is music that you are looking for, I can offer you a tape with contemporary Austrian Music.
With kind regards,
Heinz
=> Riho: case you look for reels, I can offer a variety used aluminum NAB´s from different manufacturers, some with tapes too. Some new are available anodized in red, gold, blue or black.

But keep in mind: shipping cost might be higher than merchandise value, maybe custom fees or local taxes must be added.

What language you speak in Estonia beside of russian? The name of the TV- show sounds not like russian to me.

Frank ( darklab )
Frank

Wer aus dem Rahmen fällt, muß vorher nicht unbedingt im Bilde gewesen sein.
german info:

In Estland gibt es keine Chance große Spulen zu bekommen, Rihos Olimp ist aber ein Grossspuler! Um nun auf dem günstigsten Weg an Bänder zu kommen, versucht er zumindest einen Tausch mit wiederum für uns sehr seltenen, russischen 15er und 18er Bändern. Was dann bleibt, das sind die Portokosten. Leider gehört bei DHL Estland in die Zone 2 und da beginnen Pakete mit 25 Euro!!! Vielleicht gibt es günstigere Versender?

Who will can that in english translate Big Grin
to Frank:
In Estonia is the state language Estonian. The Russian is just a residual from Soviet time. The main language is still estonian. And i'm estonian too Smile.

to Heinz:
Well both are interesting me - empty and also recorded on tapes. I'm mostly interested in pop music from 80's and also the electronic music from this period (like Kraftwerk). Anyway I'm listening almost everything. Even heavy metal. Big Grin Austrian music may be very intresting. What about you?
Zitat:highlander postete
... Was dann bleibt, das sind die Portokosten. Leider gehört bei DHL Estland in die Zone 2 und da beginnen Pakete mit 25 Euro!!! Vielleicht gibt es günstigere Versender?....

Big Grin
Das meinte ich! Nach meinen Erfahrungen ist DHL / Post zumindest bei Kleinversendern im internationalen Verkehr der günstigste Versanddienstleister.

Frank ( darklab )
Frank

When Andreas sent package to me, then Estonia was not in EU yet. And I know there were big taxes. But maybe they are cancelled now. Or maybe there are some cheaper mode than DHL. I know that DHL is one of most expensive post service.
Normally, there should be no taxes nor fees between the states of the EU. But, far as I know are exceptions for some special cases and countries. So, in Poland gas, booze and cigarettes are much cheaper as in Germany, so the tax free import is limited. From i. e. France are no limitations since the price level is close to the german level.

For the freight rates it’s a fact DPD is not for free, international parcels out of Germany will cost at least twice as much than a national. But, other parcel services as UPS or FedEx has even higher rates. In most cases, so I know from experience, DPD offer for small quantity shipper better rates. Private parcel services make special appointments only if a certain quantity of freight is shipped every month. So probably is no way to lower forwarding cost to Estonia.

As Andreas has determined, a parcel up to 5 KG to Estonia will cost € 25.-. a small parcel (not insured against loss) up to 2 KG will cost € 8,20. Dimensions, for both cases, are 30x30x15 cm so 10,5” reels fit easy.

Frank ( darklab )
Frank

to Frank and Heinz and others:
I must ask you too if you want an empty tapes or already recorded on? Unfortunately at the moment I have only 3 empty unopened tapes.
I've been trying to record on old tapes that already have something recorded on. It has no point. The new record reproduces with very bad quality. I don't know why. Obviously the tape is too abrased. So I only can send these tapes with the old recordings that may not interest you. Of course you can try to record something on yourself. In fact I'm not sure how the russian tapes fit with foreign tape recorders.

BTW when I sent the tapes to Andreas, it costed me about €10 (150EEK). The package weight was 1 kg.
The only difference while exchanging tapes with Riho since estonia becomes member of the EU is less green color on the package Wink I.e. no duty papers anymore...
Hi Riho,
I do NOT collect tapes, but I am a collector of music from all over the world.
As far as music from the former SU is concerned, I am particularly interested in 'crime rock' , that is rock music about criminals, prisoners and mafiosi. I once listened to that music on our local radio, but that was ony for 15 minutes. This kind of music is hard to get here in Germany. And what about
Estonian folk music? That should be very interesting.
Please allow me a few weeks for your tape; my employer makes me work all day long, but there are better times to come next year. (I hope!)
BTW: 2 or 4 track? Speed? Mono? Stereo? - Let me know!
Heinz
Hi Heinz
If you collect music, I think you prefer the best quality as possible. But I'm not sure if I will find a enough creditable tape. But I can also record on CDs. I'll let you know about it.
I need some time too. I need to sort the new tapes.
The crime rock? No, never heard. I asked around and nobody knows about this kind of rock. I'm afraid that I cannot find that music for you. But Estonian folk - you're welcome Smile. I can send you estonian music of every kind. Pop, easy listening, heavy, folk etc...
I have tapes from every kind: 2 and 4 track (few are full track), speeds 4,7; 9,5; 19cm/s; mono and stereo. I prefer: 4 track stereo, 19cm/s.
I think we could later agree on the tapes quantity and assortment.
Riho
Hi
My question: How much could cost Akai GX-747 (silver one) wich has no scratches, everything works correctly, X-TAL heads, + one 26cm spool, +users manual, +NAB adapters.
How much could it cost??
Thanks,
Riho
Usually between 1000 and 1800 Euro. With a little luck less than 1000... Wink
Hi
Why have some machines two counters (for example Grundig TS1000 and Philips N4450)?? Why is the another for? Never seen such thing on russian machines.

Thanks,
Riho

P.S. pardon my 'newbie' questions. I'm yet living on the land where during the last reign nothing developed :-S.
Hi Riho,

with the additional "counter" in these machines you can stop the actual function at the counter position you want.

Wolfgang
Hi Riho,
do you also have a "P-180-M" tape recorder in your collection?
If yes, you could probably help me: I'm searching for a new motor (unfortunately I "Killed" the old one by trying to open it; i ripped out the coal brushes Sad ), Type 4-DKS-8.
If you have any information for me, I will be very happy.

Greetings, Philipp
Ich bin alleinstehend. Aber nicht nachts - da leg ich mich hin. Big Grin
---
Aufnahmen bestätigen die Pegel Big Grin
Hello Philipp,
P-180M! Wow, where did you get that...!? It is quite rare thing. Unfortunately I do not have any of this machine but maybe I can find that motor for you. Anyway I'll look around.
BTW why did you open the motor?

regards,
Riho
I got this recorder in a second-hand store, with some Swema-Tapes, 2 Mics, transformer and some cables, for 40€. I opened it because I wanted to change the rubber belt (you can't do that when it's closed, the belt comes out of a small gap). The tape transport was unsatisfying and I thought it was the belt (later I saw that it was a pulley which had the wrong height, but it was already too late Sad ). Later I tried to build in another motor, but those I have were not powerful / fast enough. (The recorder is lying in the cellar for almost a year now.)
Ich bin alleinstehend. Aber nicht nachts - da leg ich mich hin. Big Grin
---
Aufnahmen bestätigen die Pegel Big Grin
Hiya!
My question: what is EE tape??

Thank you,
Riho
Hi Riho,

EE (which is an abbreviation for "Extra Efficiency") is a type of higher quality tape that was officially supported only by some newer (>= 1979) recorders made by Akai (GX-77, GX-646, GX-747) and Teac (X-3 Mk. IV, X-300, X-1000, X-2000). It's not clear whether it is chromium dioxide or pure metal tape (Maxell claimed that their EE tapes were pure metal, whereas the ones made by BASF were labeled as chromium dioxide).

EE tapes are not produced anymore since quite a couple of years, and they are terribly expensive when offered second hand.

Regards,
Timo
Hi
I was on spulentonband-robert site and saw there something interesting and strange - why are some turntables with two or three tonearms??
Riho
Hi Riho

The fans of turntables like to use different arms an different Pick-Ups. When there are two ore three arms on a turntable, you can chose the most-fitting arm-Pickup-combination for hearing music.

It's usual, that they buy the turntable, the arm(s) and the Pickup(s) separately and build their own combination this way.
Michael(F)

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste