Tonschreiber Ton S.b1
Hallo komme, zuerst ich Entschuldigungsfeind mein armes Deutsch, ich vom Vereinigten Königreich aber Bedürfnis, eine Stelle zu benutzen, es zu übersetzen, hoffentlich ich werde Deutsch lernen, während diese Stelle benutzend.

Ich habe eine Tonschreiber Tonne S.b1 Spule gekauft, den ich zu torkeln, sucht einige Ersatzteile für, hauptsächlich irgendetwas, während ich meinen Ersatzteilkasten, seine Fehlen 4 Spulen und ihre Metallefälle, Gummiwalzen und andere Dinge füllen will. Weiß jemand, wo ich Teilen für dieses Registriergerät finden würde?

http://www.vintagerecorders.co.uk/VR_Vie...asp?IDS=59
´
Hello and welcome.

Most of the folks here speak some English, so there is no real language Problem. The translation with a computer program often is useless and makes no sense. I guess it’s better to write English in the future.

Probably it will be very hard to find spare parts of this pre- WWII recorder, but one of the member here knows a lot about the history of tape recording and may give some information.

NO facts, just an idea: The reels –or better hubs- you asked for are used in the very first time of tape recording. Normally the tapes are used on a hub, the reels are specially designed for this portable recorder. Be sure, these reels are very rare, almost impossible to find. And IF you find some, today’s tape will not run on your machine.

My advice: Look for one who can cut the needed parts with a laser device from aluminium.

Are you the guy who presented the Tonschreiber in U Tube?
Frank

Wer aus dem Rahmen fällt, muß vorher nicht unbedingt im Bilde gewesen sein.
Yes, I am the guy with the one on You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_i1mmv5-Fg

I have about 10 reels for it at the moment but I am trying to fill the box, thank you for lettine me know that most speak English here but if i respond to a German thread, I will translate it.

Cheers for the help!
Hello Reel-to-reel-man! Welcome to this forum.

I have got one request: Would you please use a non-animated avatar. Animated ones are not use in this forum, because if a lot of users have an animated one it would be very distracting. Thank you!

niels
Wer bei Stereoaufnahmen kein Gegenspur-Übersprechen haben möchte, sollte Halbspur-Maschinen verwenden.
Hello,

A name, to address you personally, would be helpful (at least for me)...

Spare parts for all types of Tonschreibers are very rare, due to the fact that they -Frank already mentioned it- belong throughout to the first (meaning dc-) generation of the magnetophone. Numerous machines survived WWII and got modified (ac-bias; Otto Schmidbauer established his glory as a magnetophone pioneer on this path) for broadcast purposes in East and West Germany as well, where they finally got run down by professional use by the new public radios in Germany. We have to be aware that it took a quite long time for the post-war-AEG, to produce the first 'new' professional magnetophone (K8/T8) in 1948. Furthermore the old infrastructure of the RRG was ruined by the influences of air raid.

So those spare parts for Tonschreibers today appear on the market coincidentally at special collectors' sales in Central Europe or 'under hand' between collectors, which know each other personally.
Most defective mechanical parts must be rebuilt, following the original models. So you have to get into the quite small scene, where especially Russian(!), Norwegian(!) and some American collectors (of Russian origin...) meet each other. There are some German and German speaking (Netherlands to Italy, Austria to Switzerland) collectors in the market as well; a central, Munich-based member of this scene, owner of a perfectly working R23 (transportable RRG-machine related to your Tonschreiber), is well known to me. It might be possible that he can help you. Due to his age, however, this collector is not accessible by internet or e-mail; you have to write and precisely to describe the parts you are looking for.

Btw: Not all things -f. e. the details to K1, K2 and K3 or the fundaments of Schüller's rotating four-head-drum ("Dehnerkopf", Pat. DE721198)- you tell us in the nice youtube-movie about your Tonschreiber are correct. Generally the official RRG-introduction of the tape recorder took place not prior to Jan. 1st, 1942.
The RRG did not use the K1 or K2 except for test purposes. The K3 was produced just in few samples (one visited the USA -Schenectady, NY- in Nov. 1937), because the (DC-)K4 appeared on the market already 1938, but ran also just for tests in the RRG-laboratories, where the RRG-scientists, in so far as supporters of the AEG, tried to improve the still very limited quality of the tape recording. The RRG used tape recorders prior to 1942 just for free-field mobile recording (R23, mentioned above).
In the RRG-laboratories the grand scientist and expert practitioner Dr. Walter Weber (1907-1944) came into contact with the technique and discovered during experiments on a K4 in early spring 1940 the high-frequency-bias-system another time, recognizing the quality potential of this technology in its complete(!) breadth. Following that he developed within one year a marketable high[est]-quality storing system.

Furthermore the Tonschreiber B 1 appeared on the market around 1942/1943 as an improved version of the older Tonschreiber Berta.

Do you know the BIOS-Reports?

Hans-Joachim
Thank you for the details, I have updated my Animated gif to a Jpeg.

This is interesting about the dates on the age of the b1 machine, I had read in many places this recorder was from 1939 to 1944, the K1 being the first sold machine (K-0 shown in a demonstration only), the K-2 and K-3 being Pre 1937, the B1 being the military version, this recorder does not have AC biasing on it (there is an oscillator circuit in the recorder but that’s for the capstan drive), which also made me think its pre 1940.

This machine did come from a closed auction through a good friend, ended costing me a lot, I was lucky to get some spares donated at a later date, the recorder is not running at the moment but I hope to have it working soon, the front panel has started to corrode, does anyone know a good way f stopping the corrosion without re spaying the panel?

What is the BIOS-report about?
Dear VR,

maybe my explanations 'explained' mistakably. The Tonschreibers of the Wehrmacht were DC-biased units, the modifications of Schmidbauer and colleagues took place after WWII. In so far you can't date the origin of your unit with regard to the biasing technique used. The only thing we reliably can state, consists in the fact that it (probably) never was modified or 'modernized', but kept its original status.
Your timetable of the Tonschreiber-history on the other hand is more precise than all my informations, which however correlate better with the quite diffuse knowledges we have regarding the history of the Tonschreiber-development. That means also that your infos might be of a better quality than mine.

The upcoming corrosion of the front covers inevitably comes with the age of those machines acting now in the seventh decade of their lives. With regard to that, all units in visually perfect condition crossing my ways had apparently repainted fronts. This, by the way, is also the case with that R23 of my already named friend. Years ago, as he told me, he spent a lot of time on the reconstruction of the original colour of the front cover. Nevertheless he gave up the restoration after the complete dismantling of his unit. The physical condition of the other parts was too bad. Years later he changed another rare unit of his collection with an Austrian friend, who compensated that with well preserved parts of a R23, which now perform together with the already existing front plate as the above mentioned R23 as a marvellous preserved unit. Repainted...

The BIOS-Reports "705" and "951, Item Nos. 7 and 9" describe the "High Frequency Magnetophon Magnetic Sound Recorders" (705) and "The Magnetic Sound Recording and Reproducing System"(951) of the Germans and were published by the British Intelligence Objectives Sub-Committee in 1946. The texts came from the desks of the German experts (f. e. Braunmühl and Pflaumer) and were translated partly by these experts, partly by BIOS-deputed persons.
Every interested non-German was allowed to order copies of these reports and to use the informations, due to the fact, that after WWII the Allied Forces made all at this time protected German patents license-free for international, but not for German users. Original samples of these brochurelike reports appear periodically on the English market of used books.

No. 705 describes the standard hf-biased recorder of the Reichsrundfunkgesellschaft (basing on the K4-unit) including their amplifiers (V5, V7b) as far as the stereophonic 'test' equipment (used in Berlin and Prague by the RRG-"Magnetbandlabor" at least up to late 1944, when they left Kosten, near Posen), while no. 951 explains the technology in its total bandwidth including the Wehrmachttonschreibers and the tape technology of the IG Farben/BASF. Ludwigshafen/Waldmichelbach.
Do you know that five (of almost 300) stereophonic sequences survived since 1943/44?

Finally a hint in respect of the relation between Tonschreibers and the RRG-equipment:
The Tonschreibers always used spools, but also -and apparently right from the start- that "traditional German" bobby mounting system with the typical turning handle, which appears within the history of the stationary RRG-recorders comparably late. They at first had another system but switched over to the handles of the Tonschreiber type.

Hans-Joachim
That’s a very interesting read, the sad thing about my machine was it showed no corrosion at all until it came here, the atmosphere is a little damp due to my two dogs and I think that may have set it off, the thing I am worried about is losing markings off the front of the machine, in such a way I think I may have a new front made all together and leave the machine as it is.

Also, sorry for not saying before, my name is Stuart from England, I collect tape recorders and have done since I was 10, I had 450 in total at the peak, I am now down to about 100 to save space.
Hello,

I know this is a very very old Thread, but I just acquired a Tonschreiber B1 and I have been doing some research. reading old threads, looking to make acquaintance of anyone that has one of these machines or has any knowledge of them. I have been lucky enough to converse with Stuart thus far but always looking for new contacts. If anyone has one of these machines for sale in ANY condition I am interested. or knows of any spare parts! please contact me!

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste