Studer c37 / telefunken m10 hybrid
Hello, I have a studer c37 missing one input and one output amplifier. I am trying to locate the amps but they are very difficult to find. I also happen to have 2 sets of extra telefunken v86 v87 tube amps for the m10 recorder. I am wondering if it's technically possible to wire the telefunken amplifiers up to the studer c37 tape deck?? Anyone know if this could this work?
Basically, you may wire up rec/pb amps like the v86/87 to Studer C37 heads with satisfactory results.

I would advise against substituting just one of two channels, however. Different circuit designs make it practically impossible to get interchannel frequency & phase response differences down to acceptable values.

Wishing you good luck,
Peter
Grüße
Peter

Ich bin, wie ich bin.
Die einen kennen mich, die anderen können mich.
(Konrad Adenauer)
Thanks for the reply Peter! That's good news! Yes this what I had in mind, to use matching telefunken input output amplifiers. I wasn't sure if it was so simple to wire them up and it would work, if they would be compatible with impedance of the heads. Is there anything to have in mind or do you think I can just wire them up and calibrate the machine and it will be good to go?

Best
Zack
Unless there is something seriously wrong, you should be able to get the V87 running quite easily and see if you get a flat frequency response from a reference tape.

The V86 is a different story. For this, you might want to have a closer look at its circuit diagram and compare it with the actual wiring, especially surrounding the transformers T2, 3 and 4.

In the adaptation to rec & erase heads of different manufacturers, the HF oscillator plays the crucial and most critical role.

If your C37 is equipped with a full-track erase head, the oscillator output (8a+b) for "LK" (= erase head) of the second rec amp needs to be connected to a dummy load instead.

The oscillator frequency and the HF output transformers need to be readjusted because of the slightly different inductivities of the Studer heads.
The two V86 oscillators also need to be synchronized (pin a5 on the output connector) to avoid HF interference.

If you have any difficulties in understanding what this is all about, leave the substitution procedure to someone sufficiently versed in the matter because you otherwise run the risk of destroying the erase head!

Best wishes,
Peter
Grüße
Peter

Ich bin, wie ich bin.
(Konrad Adenauer)
Thanks for all the good info. Do you have the v86 v87 manuals/schematics ? I should have them here somewhere but I can't seem to find them now.
BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=178412#post178412 schrieb:Do you have the v86 v87 manuals/schematics ?

Here are the German "Braunbuch" descriptions:
V86
V87

You'll find the circuit diagrams at the end of the documents.

Peter
Grüße
Peter

Ich bin, wie ich bin.
(Konrad Adenauer)
BLUESPILLS,index.php?page=Thread&postID=178408#post178408 schrieb:Thanks for the reply Peter! That's good news! Yes this what I had in mind, to use matching telefunken input output amplifiers. I wasn't sure if it was so simple to wire them up and it would work, if they would be compatible with impedance of the heads. Is there anything to have in mind or do you think I can just wire them up and calibrate the machine and it will be good to go?

Best
Zack

Zack, Peter,
I'm sorry for spoiling the party, but C37 reproduce head is of high inductance type (ca. 700mH), it wont work with V87's input transformer, which has 1:8 step-up ratio. Frequency response will suffer.
Zack, I'm affraid you have to keep looking for original Studer modules, or, if you're good at DIY, you have to build the copies of those by yourself.

Best,
ojfd
Thanks ojfd ! Indeed DIY copies would be nice! I don't think i have enough skill myself but I know someone who might be able to handle the job.

For the Telefunken, maybe I am better off buying a working telefunken m10 transport. One question, is there a difference in the m10 heads whether it was used with v86/87 tube amplifiers, compared to m10 heads used with the solid state amps (v386/387) Or are they the same? Basically I just wonder, if i buy any working telefunken m10 transport and plug it into the v86/87 amps will it work? Even if it was previously used with solid state amps.

Also, is it true that the tape heads for revox g36 is compatible with Studer C36 ? I believe they are also high inductance, correct?

best
Zack

[-]
Schnellantwort
Nachricht
Geben Sie hier Ihre Antwort zum Beitrag ein.

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste