Telefunken M10A Manuals
Hi
I am trying to locate the user and service manuals(in english)for a Telefunken
M10A Magnetophone.
The V396/7 cards will also help.
Regards from Spain.
Hello and welcome Smile

I do have some manuals (I could try to connect them and build a PDF) - but unfortunately in German... :undnun: - may they help you though...?

Best regards
Michael
Hi
Many thanks for your offer.I prefer english because I don´t speak german,but
surely it will help me.
I have tried to contact Hilpert Audio a couple of times by e-mail,but they don´t answer me.Maybe they have english copies of the user and service manual.
I have a german friend,so surely he can help me with the translation of some parts.

Her is my e-mail: luispla@mac.com

Best regards from Spain.
Zitat:~lpla postete
Her is my e-mail: luispla@mac.com
I am going to send you some PDFs soon this evening Smile

Michael
Hi

Just received the info.Many thanks for your help!!

Best regards.
´
Kai Hilpert travels a lot and is absent for a good while, so it may take some time until he responds.
Frank

Wer aus dem Rahmen fällt, muß vorher nicht unbedingt im Bilde gewesen sein.
Just received the info.Many thanks for your help!!
It's my pleasure to help M10A owners.
I have two more messages with pdf files attached, but yesterday your inbox was full... :rot: Please let me know when you would like to receive the remaining files Smile

Best regards
Michael
HI

Try now!!

Regards.
Done Smile
I hope it worked.

Michael
i'm sorry Sad one of the two emails just came back... maybe your inbox was full again...?

Michael
Hi
I just deleted more files to free up space.This time should work.

Your info help me to start fixing my M10A.

It looks like three caps(C22,C23 and C24)were replaced at some moment.

The schematics say they are 0.5,0.1 and 0.5MF(non polarized electrolitics) rated at 220Volts,the ones in my machine are the correct value but rated at 630 Volts(sure it doesn´t hurt the machine).Can this be a later upgrade?

Regards.
I just deleted more files to free up space.This time should work.
Thank you Smile I have sent the remaining files as attachments to two messages.
It looks like three caps(C22,C23 and C24)were replaced at some moment.
Ah - it reminds me of a problem that I had on my M10. One of my (almost 50-year-old) caps was damaged, and the capstan motor stood still.
The schematics say they are 0.5,0.1 and 0.5MF(non polarized electrolitics) rated at 220Volts,the ones in my machine are the correct value but rated at 630 Volts(sure it doesn´t hurt the machine).Can this be a later upgrade?
I'm not sure... is there a year written on the caps? Or anything like "3/62"? In my M10 (no M10A, unfortunately Wink ) there are 630 V types, built in 1962.
I am no skilled engineer but I guess the more Volts they have, the better it should be Smile. They might live longer.

As far as I remember there might be capacities which are slightly different from the schematics - in order to get a smooooooth running capstan motor. (Unfortunately I myself lacked the suitable measuring equipment - three amperemetres - so I just replaced the old caps with new ones of the same dimensions.)
As I learned from a radio broadcasting engineer you can replace them also by new (as it's called in German) "Folien-Kondensatoren" (I don't know the English word, sorry).

Michael
Film capacitors (= Folienkondensatoren) is the word Michael was looking for Wink.

EDIT: And yes, the higher rated voltage of the caps doesn't matter.
Hi
Some progress fixing my M10A.I just replaced some suspicious capacitors and tried to power up the machine(slowly,with a variac).
Some lights working but not very much activity.
I finally got a service manual in english,and I discovered that is necessary to do
some bridges in the remote connector to get the right motor to work.
Sucess!!!
It works!! It looks like it needs some lubrication,but rewind and FF works very well.
I put a tape that arrives with the machine and hit the PLAY button:
Incredible sound!!
Left channel sound darker than the right one but the overall sound is impressive.
I bought the machine "As is,for parts" so you can imagine my surprise.
After an hour or so playing the tape,some smoke appeared under the transport controls.
Uhhmmmm! A 100 Ohm resistor semi burned.
I will change it for a modern one and some more suspicious caps in the same board.
I will put a link to the music recorded in the tape.Maybe someone knows who the band is.Is a kind of 80-90´s techno band.I am just curious about it.
Thanks for all the help.
I will keep you informed.
Sucess!!!
Congratulations Smile
Incredible sound!!
YEAH :party: thats Telefunken M10A even after more than 40 years :drink:
Left channel sound darker than the right one
Maybe a question of BIAS adjustment...?
Uhhmmmm! A 100 Ohm resistor semi burned.
Could you identify this resistor in the schematics?
I learned from a skilled technician at WDR broadcasting station Cologne that there is a dangerous resistor near the "Stop" button: R24 (between points 176 and 177). Because the resistor gets grilled as soon as the machine is in position "Stop":oah:. The easiest solution for this problem is to remove the lamp La 2 from inside the "Stop" button.

Michael
I am also trying very hard to find any manuals, schematics, for my telefunken m10a 1" 8 track version, or the V396/397 cards as well.

The problem I have is that there is no sound coming out from any channel when I plug a cable from each output to the mixer. Am I connecting something wrong? It could be something very simple, because everything else is working perfectly. All the transport functions, lights, buttons, is perfect, but NO SOUND! it's making me crazy!

Can someone help me out?
I have all Manuals, do you like it on CD?

Best Regards,

Rudolf
Hi!

I just received and installed my Telefunken M10A and would also be very interested in the manuals. Preferably in English as my German is rather weak, to say the least.

Thanks!
Girilal,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=166207#post166207 schrieb:I just received and installed my Telefunken M10A and would also be very interested in the manuals. Preferably in English as my German is rather weak, to say the least.
Welcome to the forum Smile. And congratulations to having received this wonderful machine...

If you like I can send you an invitation to my "UbuntuOne" folder where I have stored all the manuals and schematics I have - sorry to say, they're in German. But if you like please just send me a PM (or better email to my private address, see profile) with your address so that I can invite you.

Das Angebot gilt natürlich auch für alle anderen M10(A)-besitzenden Mit-Leser im Forum Smile.

Michael
mk1967,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=166217#post166217 schrieb:
Girilal,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=166207#post166207 schrieb:I just received and installed my Telefunken M10A and would also be very interested in the manuals. Preferably in English as my German is rather weak, to say the least.
Welcome to the forum Smile. And congratulations to having received this wonderful machine...
Thanks, Michael! Smile
Yes, it is a truly wonderful machine! Full of energy:-))

I've emailed you...
Girilal,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=166221#post166221 schrieb:I've emailed you...
Thank you for your email, Girilal Smile. Unfortunately I've just learned that the PM function of the forum still does not work properly in my case (I've had these problems for months) - so I cannot answer you by PM. If you like, please send me a PM with your email address, then I will invite you to the folder at once.

Das auch als Einladung an andere Interessenten: bitte einfach eine PM an mich mit Eurer E-Mail-Adresse, damit ich Euch darüber "zu dem Ordner einladen" kann.

Michael
Hello, I have now located all the manuals. Thank you!

I've had my Telefunken M10A 8 track for about 1 month now. It's been working great... then today all of the sudden the speed became really slow, during playback. Rewind and fast forward still work normal.. but the tape is just playing very slow. Sad

My first guess is something to do with the capstan motor.. but what exactly? maybe it needs lubrication? a capacitor?

Anyone encountered this problem before? Any ideas??

best
Zack
Yes it seems to me that it might be a problem with the capstan motor. It reminds me of a problem that I had with one of my M10 few years ago (that was actually the capstan motor). There are some capacitors in the "Phasenschieber". I suppose you just have to replace them with new ones and the motor should run again normally Smile

Michael
Thanks for your fast response Michael!

Sorry, what is the Phasenschieber, and where is it located? I have the manual, but only in English. Is it easy to access? or do I need to take a lot of parts out to get to it?

Are you referring to the capacitors C27,C24, C23, C22, C21, and C10 on the schematic?

Also do you think it's important to oil the capstan as it says in the manual? If so, what kind of oil should be used?

best
Zack
BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=167199#post167199 schrieb:Are you referring to the capacitors C27,C24, C23, C22, C21, and C10 on the schematic?
Yes Smile exactly.

BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=167199#post167199 schrieb:Sorry, what is the Phasenschieber, and where is it located? I have the manual, but only in English. Is it easy to access? or do I need to take a lot of parts out to get to it?
I guess the English term is "phase shifter" - though when I try to look this up on the web I only find something about a guitar effect unit Wink. Elsewhere there can be found the term "phase modifier". Anyway, the engineer-experienced members of this forum might explain it to you better than I can because I'm neither an engineer nor an electrician... I guess it's something that splits up the two phase AC into three phases - plus it tells the capstan motor about the direction in which it shall run.

The capacitors are located at the very bottom of the machine. Unfortunately I only have a picture of an M10 - so it might look slightly different on an M10A. But if you look at this picture you can see a "pack" of four silver coloured capacitors in the upper part of the picture, slightly on the left side. Those are the smaller ones - corresponding to C 21-24 and 27 on M10A. The large one, corresponding to C10, you can see on this picture on the very left side, carrying the letters "MP", just above the four small capacitors.

I guess after almost 50 years of use those parts might have the permission to retire... Wink

When you replace them I guess it's very important that you do not use conventional electrolytic capacitors - because of AC voltage. To replace the small capacitors I have just taken some film capacitors and they work fine.

BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=167199#post167199 schrieb:Also do you think it's important to oil the capstan as it says in the manual? If so, what kind of oil should be used?
Unfortunately I lack experience with putting oil into my M10 - but I remember that sometime in the past there has been a discussion in this forum about this topic. But in general I suppose it might rather be an electronical than a mechanical problem. Even long before my M10 got the capacitor problem I had read about this problem being the only real error an M10A owner has to face on his almost-carefree machine Smile.

By the way the other of my M10 had a capacitor problem also at one of its reel motors - the similiar capacitor like C19 in your M10A. The problem has disappeared, and so far I have been too lazy to replace the old capacitor :whistling: . But the replacement parts for both capacitors are already here Wink.

Ah, by the way...
BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=165682#post165682 schrieb:The problem I have is that there is no sound coming out from any channel when I plug a cable from each output to the mixer.
Could you solve the sound problem?

Michael
Hey Michael! Thanks for all the info, this is a big help. I went and looked inside today and where there is 4 small capacitors on your picture, there is just 3 small caps, plus the 1 large C10 capacitor on my M10A. (3 small ones are 0,5uF 630v, big one is hard to read but i think 2,7uF 220V) just to be sure can you send me what kind of capacitors you used for replacement?? something like this? http://www.amazon.com/CAPACITOR-POLYESTE...B007Z7JE6W

Anyways I will replace the caps and see if it does the trick. I hope that's all it is Smile It seems like when i tried to play today it got even slower than yesterday...

Also, I had just got the sound working (almost). It was a fuze in the power supply card. But now all channels are working except for channel 4. Channel 4 seems to be able to record, however no sound on playback. (I checked this by recording onto 4, then flipping the tape upside down, and I could hear what was recorded on track 5) Not sure what the problem is yet... Since i had just got the sound back, i had been blissfully recording some new songs for the last couple weeks with my new tape machine, and loving it! Then this problem came with the slow playback. Sad I was sad of course but thanks to your help, hopefully the Telefunken will be healthy again soon.

Zack
BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=167209#post167209 schrieb:(3 small ones are 0,5uF 630v, big one is hard to read but i think 2,7uF 220V)
I suppose that 220V types would be risky - I would prefer 630 V ones. [Edit: Actually the schematics contain 220V types - but today we have 230 V, and there should be more than enough space for 630 V types. Smile ]

BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=167209#post167209 schrieb:just to be sure can you send me what kind of capacitors you used for replacement?? something like this? http://www.amazon.com/CAPACITOR-POLYESTE...B007Z7JE6W
I cannot find the exact types on the web right now - but just to show you how they look optically (just optically) - the big one looks like this one, und I remember that it was actually called "motor capacitor".
The small ones look like this one, but this was tricky to install, just because of their dimensions. Unfortunately I could not get the ideal form like those of the old parts.

As for the capacitance: I took care not to change its sum when I choose the replacement parts. The very best way would have been to check all three currents with three ampèremetres to try to make them equal and to choose the exact capacitance values according to this (in the schematics it's called "Abgleich") - but I lacked the equipment, unfortunately. So I kept the old values.

Michael
Hey Michael,

I changed a couple of the caps today. Not all of them just 2 of the smaller ones. I plugged it back in and it's working again! Smile

Very happy !

thanks for the help.
Glad to hear! 8o

Maybe it might be wise to change the other ones sometime also. To avoid that the problem reappears sometime in future in a moment when you definitely need the running machine Wink.

Michael
Hi all,

I'm Ronald from the Netherlands and bought a M10a reel to reel player.

Wants to going us it but don't have any documentation can someone help me out so that I can start

with this wonderful machine.

Hope someone wants to help me.

Regards Ronald
Hi Ronald,

congratulations Smile.

If you may send me a PM with your email address I will send you the links to all the material that I have uploaded. Unfortunately I can't send it to you by PM in here - the forum's PM function does not work when I try to use it...

Michael
Your work is really great help for us. thumbsup thumbsup
I have my M10A recorder recently, which has lots of problem. SO I need the service manual of M10A, in order to fix them. Smile

If you can help me, I would be very grateful.
mk1967,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=167427#post167427 schrieb:Hi Ronald,

congratulations Smile.

If you may send me a PM with your email address I will send you the links to all the material that I have uploaded. Unfortunately I can't send it to you by PM in here - the forum's PM function does not work when I try to use it...

Michael
"finally got a service manual in english,and I discovered that is necessary to do
some bridges in the remote connector to get the right motor to work."

What are the bridges that need to be made in the remote connector?
BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=178968#post178968 schrieb:What are the bridges that need to be made in the remote connector?
It's a bridge between contacts b3 and a4. Smile
Hi

I'm new here, and i'm repairing a m10a with the v396 cards.
I have no schematics ,so does anyone have one here?
I would be grateful.

Henk
Hello Henk,

welcome and congratulations to you regarding this machine Smile.

If you like to send me your email address by PM I could send you the dropbox link to all the material that I have.

Michael
Hello again! I had solved a problem before with a slow capstan by switching out some caps ( C 21-24)... recently I have been having some troubles with the speed fluctuating. Not every time i play, just every once in awhile. For example, I recorded some drums, and when I listen back it sounds like its speeding up then goes back to normal speed. (i know its IN the recording because it happens at the same point in the song every time.)

Anyways, do you think its a problem with the same corresponding capacitors like i switched before (C 21-24 and 27) do these control the speed stabilisation? ... i wonder because when I changed them, they weren't the exact same values as the originals, I used the closest i could find. Perhaps its the reason... any thoughts!?

best
Zack
Hi there,I am new in r2r
And just got a m10 months ago. Everything go fine till last week.
The 100ohm resistor behind the control panel has been blow out.
Anyone can help to give me a English service manual.
Anyone can give me a clue on this. Is this problem come from the shift bar for FF and rewind
Thanks for help!
Congratulations to you for having got the M10 Smile

dragonball911,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=194747#post194747 schrieb:The 100ohm resistor behind the control panel has been blow out.
I could not yet find this resistor - may you please look for the number of the surrounding contacts? Telefunken has given numbers to all contacts in the machine, and to many parts also.

BLUESPILLS,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=180223#post180223 schrieb:Anyways, do you think its a problem with the same corresponding capacitors like i switched before (C 21-24 and 27) do these control the speed stabilisation?
Unfortunately I lack experience to answer your question - I suppose the experts in this forum will know better. There is the German word "Abgleich" in the scematics: I guess it's necessary to use an "Amperemeter" (German word, I don't know the English word) to find the exact value. When I changed them on one of my M10 I took "Folienkondensatoren" - the sum of their values is the same like the sum of the old capacitors' values. It seems to work well.
Unfortunately i have no idea why speed fluctuates on your machine. Perhaps a problem of dirty contacts at the "relais" (the German word again) ? This might be a problem on many M10 after more than 50 years (I have also had the pleasure with it Wink )...

Michael
I have a brand new Power-Supply from M10:

Angehängte Dateien Thumbnail(s)

Capstan-Motor Telefunken M10A:

Hier der Laufwerk-Schaltplan der Telefunken M10A:

Angehängte Dateien
.bmp   1.BMP (Größe: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 47)
.bmp   2.BMP (Größe: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 33)
.bmp   3.BMP (Größe: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 34)
.bmp   4.BMP (Größe: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 36)
Noch ein wichtiger Hinweis:

Am Tonmotor der M10 (nicht M10A!) sitzt am oberen Lager eine Madenschraube.

Mit dieser Madenschraube wird nach einer Motor-Revision das obere Halslager absichtlich verklemmt, damit der Tonmotor mit etwa 0,25 Watt Leistung belastet wird.

Nur mit dieser geringen Belastung läuft ein "Synchronmotor" bei 50Hz rund, was man in den 1960er Jahren feststellte und was auch der Grund mit dafür war, dass bis in die späten 1960er Jahre man bei der Bandgeschwindigkeit von 76cm blieb.

Durch das absichtliche "Abbremsen" der Netz-Synchronmotoren wurde das rein und rausreißen dieser lastlos laufenden Capstanmotoren auf ein verträgliches Maß verringert und Geschwindigkeiten von 38cm und 19cm ermöglicht.

Vor dem Zerlegen zwecks Revision eines Telefunken Tonmotors bitte diese Madenschraube lösen und später wieder leicht anschrauben.

Beachte: Diese Tonmotoren (Telefunken M10 und M5 (Getriebeversion) können nicht leicht laufen!

Rudolf
thanks all your help!
I have repair my pro lem by changed all caps as one of an old caps has broken.
Now it is running smoothly!
Very fine, have fun with your Telefunken!

Rudolf

Telefunken T9 und M10 bei RTL und in der TU Berlin:

Hallo Michael,

ich habe eine Telefunken M10 8 Spur Maschine und beginne jetzt mit der Restauration.
Kannst du mir dazu deine Unterlagen zuschicken? Suche auch noch speziell etwas zum
Zusatz-Teil, dem kleinen mixer, der bei der Mehspurversion angebracht ist.

Danke und Grüße
Ray
Hallo!
Wer kann für mich zum helfen??
Ich suche schaltplan zum Telefunken R65a (Ü-wagen magnetophon)
Danke,danke danke
RayBlack,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=198080#post198080 schrieb:Kannst du mir dazu deine Unterlagen zuschicken?
Hallo Ray,

leider (da die Benachrichtigungsfunktion des Forums bei mir aus irgendeinem Grund nicht funktioniert) finde ich Deine Anfrage jetzt erst. Ist sie noch aktuell? Was ich habe, ist bei Dropbox deponiert. Bei Bedarf kann ich Dir gern den Link schicken.

Michael

[-]
Schnellantwort
Nachricht
Geben Sie hier Ihre Antwort zum Beitrag ein.

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste